Friday, November 13, 2009

A House Divided - aka Jimmy's new obsession

Ok, before I launch into my blog about Jimmy's new obsession. Here is a quick update on the kids week with Sue while we were in Mexico.

Billy "Mommy, I miss you and it makes my tummy feel funny"
Kay got a 100% on her 1st ever spelling test
Jimmy "Do you think Mommy & Daddy are having as much fun as we are Sue?"

I think that says it all...

So, as with the North & South Koreans, West & East Germany, Pakistan and India....The LoudAmericans are also a house divided. As good Minnesoteans & Wisconsonites, its the age old rivarly of the Vikings and the Packers. The boys have decided to be staunch Vikings fans, Kay and Nikki are even-ing the sides by declaring themselves Packer fans. Its a mess, a riot and very loud.
The 1st Packer/Viking game brought Jimmy yelling at the TV EVERY time the VIkings touched the ball. This lead Kay to yell at the TV EVERY time Kay touched the ball. Of course, Nikki didnt want to be left out so... every time one of the kids yelled, she coursed through the house at top speed. Not a relaxing way to watch the game but pretty funny. As everyone knows, the Vikings won and Grandpa Jim now owes Tom & Jimmy a cheeseburger.
Weeks went past and Jimmy dutifully studied all he could on football. I come home from work 4-5 days a week to find him watching football, by himself, talking to the ref's and cheering for which ever team happens to be playing. I have no idea how he decides who he's going to root for but he told me today that his favorite college teams are North Carolina, Central Michigan, Florida, Gophers, Badgers .... His 2nd grade class plays touch football every day at recess. You could call it an obsession. (an ironic obsession since neither Tom or I follow any organized sport, and our TV watching time totals about 7 min's a week)
So, the next Packer/Vikings game comes along and I decide to up the ante. A bet between Mommy & son. The wager? If the Vikings win, I'll buy Jimmy a Favre Vikings jersey. If the Packers win, he has to wear a Favre PACKERS jersey to school all day. Needless to say, the bet was on.... As the game was during our flight to Mexico, I was unable to watch my bet go south. No worries, Jimmy called the MINUTE we got into our house in Mexico screaming, "they won they won ... when are you going to buy me my jersey!?!" Then, he proceeded to give me a play by play of the game. (dont ask me how he figured out to call Mexico, I'm not sure I want to know). I guess in hindsight its a good thing he won the bet otherwise he'd be this kid....
I came good on my bet and as much as it killed me, Jimmy is the proud owner of Favre Vikings jersey. He wore it 3 days in a row and I had to peal it off him to put it in the wash yesterday.
Today we had tickets to the Gopher game- last game of the season in the "bank" (the new U stadium) They were tickets through work and we made it a mommy son game. It was SUPER fun. The Gophers won and Jimmy (along with his posse of 10 yr old boys) watched, cheered, discussed and boo'ed the game, the players and the refs. Fun was had by all.
I earned a TON of Mother of the Year points this week:)